I was able to create JS only functions for coupling  a before BlindUp
and an after BlindDown Effect, but I cannot repeat this process easily
using $ajax->link. The effect in the JS I wrote functions like this:

                        outEffect = 'BlindUp';
                        inEffect = 'BlindDown';

                        new Effect[outEffect]('content', {
                                afterFinish: function() {
                                        new Ajax.Updater('content',page,{
                                                method:'get',
                                                onSuccess: function() {
                                                        new
Effect[inEffect]('content');//,{afterFinish: function() {if
(MainMenu.selectedId=='mainmenu_2') {countdownTimerInit();}}});
                                        }});
                                }
                        });

I've tried using options['before'] and options['after'] but they do
not work correctly when dealing with animated effects. I would just
use the JS I've created, but I need to follow Cake's PHP ajax link
convention to update my div content. Suggestions anyone?