Just to push the other side of the argument a bit, there are some
benefits to the Cake approach that haven´t been mentioned...

Ideally a view should standalone completely, i.e is uncoupled form any
other part of the system, and have no dependencies: that makes it a
lot easier to reuse views in other parts of the system, or other
projects, etc.
However once you start accessing specific models and their methods in
views then they´re a lot less flexible, and you almost might as well
do your output direct in a controller (extreme example, but you see
what I mean)!

Just playing Devil´s advocate...