Chris Lamb wrote:
> Joshua Benner wrote:
>

>> As far as having multiple java installations, do some reading about the
>> "alternatives" system -- perhaps start with 'man alternatives'
>>

> The "alternatives" is a feature of Debian-derivative distros so will not
> appear in Fedora.

Actually, Red Hat distros (including Fedora) DO have alternatives.
>  > Right now I develop on Ubuntu 7.02 with Eclipse + PDT (I'm a big Fedora
>
>> fan, but seriously -- if you want easy and nice, try Ubuntu).
>>

> Horses for courses. Some distros definately do not reward using
> out-of-repository software,

"reward" ?   Eclipse is very self contained, and in my experience runs
better in its native form rather than obfuscated throughout the system.
Granted, your disto's package manager won't handle Eclipse updates
anymore, but Eclipse has it's own update manager. Now I'll note that
I've only played with Eclipse packages for a few Fedora releases, but
those were the offending ones that failed to work with Eclipse update
sites properly and for some unknow reason were noticably slower than a
pure Eclipse download. But again, there are a lot of circumstances that
could be to blame -- I don't want what I'm saying to discourage anyone
from trying their distro's package -- just don't give up there if it
doesn't work well.
>> It's nice using Linux because of all the debugging functionality it
>> gives me
>>

> And scripatability. For example, I have a simple script here that locates
> the nearest Cake app, finds an unused port and starts a webserver pointed
> at it. Also, my concept of updating my sites involve running "make
> release" only. No faffing with FTP for me, please - I left that behind in
> 1998.

A good point -- the scriptability of Linux has been a great benefit to
me when developing in PHP! As far as FTP... yes, I've abandoned that,
but when deploying or maintaining a site, SFTP works rather well.