it appears there are two new simultaneous threads on this topic. from the
other thread, answer by John Anderson I believe:

Grab it via requestAction().

I'd just write the logic for a given element in a controller action,
create the view logic in the element file, and call

$this->renderElement('element-name', $this->requestAction('/
controller/action'));