Hi. Im new to PHP and Cake PHP but a fast learner and learn by
example.

Heres the scenario.
I am making a sign in system with the option to register.
Everything is working 100% on both the sign in and register part. What
I would like to do is add a button on the register page that when
clicked displays a message if the user name exists or is available in
a div tag.

My current framework

Model : models/user.php
<?php
class User extends AppModel {
    var $name = 'User';
}
?>

Controller : controllers/users_controller.php
// minus code
<?php
class UsersController extends AppController {
        function login() { }
        function logout() { }
        function register() { }
}

View : views/users/register.thtml
// Random HTML

insert button 'Check' <div id = 'Availability'></div>

So now how would I get that div to update when I press the button?
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Wade