I found out the $html helper does return the right url but if I want
to use image rather then text in the url then it does not work!

So I did a little hack and it works for just this!

$img=$html->image('edit.gif',array('title'=>'Edit'));
$url=$html->link('','/records/edit/' . $record['Record']['id']);
$url=substr($url,0,-4);
echo "$url$img</a>";