I have just begun to set up my site and am running into trouble when
trying to use the model associations.

My tables look like this.

CREATE TABLE city (
id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMEMNT,
name VARCHAR(50)
);

CREATE TABLE users (
id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
username VARCHAR(50),
city_id INT
);

Each user will be linked to ONLY one city, and each city will have
many users. So the best way I can think of to set up this model
association is to use the hasAndBelongsToMany for the cities so each
city will be assigned to a user. I have my models set up something
like this. (By the way when a user signs up a city_id is automatically
assigned to him that is the same as the id field in the city table)

<?php class City extends AppModel {
var $name = 'City';

   var $hasAndBelongsToMany = array(
            'User' =>
                array('className' => 'User',
                 'conditions'   => '',
                 order'        => '',
                 'dependent'    =>  true,
                 'foreignKey'   => 'city_id'

}

I guess what I am confused about is how to properly set this up so
design will be easy. I am confused on the foreign key as well, is that
correct?

My goal to post stories that belong to the user's city_id. Do I have
this set up right or is there a better way to do what I am trying to
accomplish?

Thank you for any insight on the topic.