Thanks for the reply.

My mistake.

I was including a php file at the top of the controller class. This
included file had a class and a global variable outside the class. It
worked when I used a normal class variable instead of a global
variable.

The included class could not see the global variable.

This may be a stupid question but how do you normally include extra
PHP classes or PHP files in CakePHP.

Thanks for the help.