Here is a more interesting potential solution:
from my webhost:
just not sure which .htaccess file to alter ...

 Do Rochen support both PHP4 and PHP5?
Rochen is proud to be one of the very first hosting providers to offer
dual PHP platform support meaning we support both PHP4 and PHP5
alongside each other on the same server. This is extremely useful
because it means you can run a PHP4 script in one directory and a PHP5
script in another directory of the same account. You can select on the
fly the PHP build you wish to use. There is no need to host sites on
different servers etc.

Some hosts have opted to make a full migration to PHP5 but in our
opinion this is an irresponsible thing to do as it results in many
popular scripts breaking that are not PHP5 compatible. We do however
recognize the need for PHP5 support to allow clients to deploy the
latest cutting edge applications in a production environment. Our dual
PHP platform support system provides the best of both worlds.

There are two very simple ways you can take advantage of PHP5 support
under your account -

    * 1) Simply name the script you wish to execute using PHP5 .php5
instead of .php. That's all you need to do.

    * 2) Alternatively, if you would like scripts named .php to
execute using PHP5 instead of PHP4 then simply drop the following
contents into a .htaccess file within the directory containing the
PHP5 script -
      Quote:
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

By default all scripts named .php or .php4 will execute using PHP4
unless you are using the above .htaccess directive and scripts
named .php5 will execute using PHP5. We will be keeping PHP4 as the
default installation on all servers for the foreseeable future. As
PHP5 develops over the next few years though, we may eventually change
the configuration so that PHP5 is the default PHP installation.

We have deployed the dual PHP support system on all shared (premium
and non-premium) servers at no extra cost and it is available for
immediate use. This has not been deployed on Managed Dedicated Servers
as some clients are running very custom configurations, some are
already running PHP5 and others simply don't need this type of
support. If you would like dual PHP support though then please open a
ticket and we will try and arrange this for you.