I also use a single app for both front and backend.

When the user logs in with an account flagged as having admin
privileges, I show an "admin" link in the page footer. Non-admin users
never see that link.

Clicking the "admin" link brings up the admin panel, which sets a
different layout.

All actions invoked from the admin layout are preceded by "admin_".

In my appController, I have a check to determine if the requested
action is prefixed by "admin_", and if so redirect anyone who is not
logged in as admin to the login page.

Is this how other people who use a single app do it?