Here's a quick synopsis of the scenario: There's a menu, which has
items, and these have a name and price. I also have a table in a
separate database that has a ton of information on every item. I've
got an AutoCompleter set up with this third table(ItemData, field
'common_name') and what I would like to do is take whatever value is
in the AutoCompleted input field when the form is submitted and treat
it as the 'name' property for the Item.

My initial thought was to use the beforeSave() function in my Item
model with something like this:

$this->data['Item']['name'] = $this->data['ItemData']['common_name'];

I made a hidden field with the name attribute as "data[Item][name]"
but it doesn't work. Anyone else done something like this?