@mee

To change a layout for an action put $this->layout = "layout_name"; in
the action.
For a whole controller you can put it in beforeFilter()

@InVINCable

jQuery works fine with cake.  If you are using cakes ajax helpers
which requires prototype you need to use the noConflict directive in
jQuery
http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries

Geoff
--