I'm a long time user of PHPEdit, so this last week I was thinking
about getting my hands dirty and cough up a CakePHP IDE plugin to ease
up my Cake Baking.
I had a chat with Sébastien, the CEO at Waterproof.fr and long friend
since version 0.6/0.8 of PHPEdit and he made me realize one thing:
- Maybe my views of what could be interesting to get in such plugin
were a bit too "Gus" centric.

With that in mind I'm now humbly asking the CakePHP community to
comment on my choices.
I will greatly appreciate any additions or positive dismissals of my
items since I want to get as far away of the "Gus" centric features as
possible.

Ok, here it goes.
The 2 main features are the following:
1 Database tree using Model names, not table names.
        - Right-click->Properties gives Model details.
2 A wizard, or something of the kind to generate code for the M, V and C.
        - Either 3 wizards or one that the first step would be a selection of
the next step.

Ok, granted, this is already done by the bake script.
But wouldn't it be nice to have at the reach of a simple menu/shortcut/click ?

And then some other features that could really put the RAD on this
already RAD framework:
* Know what helpers the present view is using and add those to code completion.
* Same thing in controllers but with components.
* Probably hook a different short-cut, other than Ctrl+Space, for the 2 above.
        - One that would only be populated with the relevant list.
        - Or move that information to the top of the code completion list.
        - Or have something like the way VS 2k5/Delphi does when we are on
debug mode and hover over a variable.
        ... Well not sure yet.
* Having knowledge of the Router paths to help construct correct paths
for what ever URL writing function.
        - And, why not, a mean of verifying if all paths on the application
are correct ?
* Some kind of way to construct arrays with the relevant information
when editing the parameters of, let's say, the FindAll method of a
model.
* Knowledge of the recurse depth and having the relationships of the
models on the code completion.
* Having a code browser custom tailored with the MVC structure, so one
can navigate more easily through the code.
        - Or instead of this, have a CakePHP Explorer mode for the
Solution/Project Explorer.

This is just a list from the top of my head and very centric to my neads.
This is not a PHPEdit evangelist post, quite the contrary:
- We all use some kind of IDE, be it Eclipse, Zend Studio, <insert
your own>, etc...
- We all want to produce more and for that we build whatever
customizations our IDE can leverage.
- We all have tidbits that can be shared amongst other bakers for the
benefit of the community.

So why not get a complete list of it and then submit it to the dev
team of our most loved IDE ?

Cheers,
Gustavo Carreno
---