Hey,

Well I have been using an autocomplete field for quite some time and
everything has worked fine. Although I just tried to add this onto the
end 'afterUpdateElement' => 'getSelectionId')

<?php echo $ajax->autocomplete('User.school_id', '/users/
autocomplete', array('afterUpdateElement' => 'getSelectionId')); ?>

/then i have this function to alert the user of the selection id

<script type="text/javascript">
function getSelectionId(text, li) {
    alert (li.id);
}
</script>

This is a very strange problem, everything works fine until I add that
last bit, and a small grey line appears below the autocomplete field.

I'm sure there is a simple fix to this, and my autocomplete view looks
like this btw.

I am trying to automatically input the ID of the selecton in the
form.

<ul>
<?php foreach($schools as $school): ?>
<li id="<?php echo $school['School']['id'];?>"><?php echo
$school['School']['name']. '<br /> '
.'<span class="informal">'.$school['School']['city'].', ' .
$school['School']['state']. '</span>'; ?> </li>
<?php endforeach; ?>
</ul>