I'm still working on this and have come to the point where files are
uploaded and their data is inserted as an association with the
'behaviored' model. Kind of a mix between translate & upload behaviors
in fact.
I'm currently trying to find a way to render the file field arrays on
the model's form (see
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/cake-php/t/f4821d946c5be6b1)
and manage already uploaded files (edit operations on the model,
saving changes on the related uploads and deleting... well, deleted
ones :)

@AD7six, are you also working on this? Maybe we can share some ideas