For your problem you could define some associations (somewhere in
config for ex) like :

$languages_assoc = array(
                'es-es' => 'es-es',
                'spa' => 'es-es',
                etc....
        );

and the modify the code of site\libs\l10n.php, in function
__autoLanguage()
put something like

isset($languages_assoc[$this->locale]) ? $this->locale =
$languages_assoc[$this->locale] : '' ;

I didn`t tested its just an ideea. This could work until is solved in
other way.