hi chris,

thanks for this one. but i am well aware of this, or half of this,
that i absolutely search, dig every corner before i start asking. I
searched it all in the groups and i searched google of the error it
returned and what i only got are sites that is also suffering from the
same error as mine.
Im also a test-and-see-and-test... kinda guy where i keep on
troubleshooting and see what happens. and i just ran out of places to
look at before i start asking, cause i always have the dilemma that i
cant explain my question clearly and might just end up with nothing.
but anyway, thanks for this one. it helped me organize a few thoughts
of mine while i was reading it. and while i was reading it, i managed
to get the answer to my question.

i remembered that every controller extends app_controller (loc: app/
appp_controller.php), so i thought maybe i should put it here just in
case (not really thinking why but just testing it). so i made a
beforeFilter() and added my category_list variable but still it didnt
got to the layout. but when i changed it to beforeRender() it now is
being displayed (pr()) in the layout. now i tested it again and put it
back in a single controller and in the beforeRender() but it doesnt
work. so i just have it in the app_controller.

now im puzzled why?? thanks though. very appreciated help.

heres the snippet i did btw,

class AppController extends Controller {
        function beforeRender() {
                if (!isset($this->params['admin'])) {
                        $this->set('menu_categories',
$this->Category->generateList(null,
'name ASC', null, '{n}.Category.id', '{n}.Category.name'));
        .
        .
        .
}