> > > If you really want web based editing - take the approach which some
> > > popular
> > > CMSs take - read and write to files...
> >
> > is it really so bad? why not save to the database, then use cake built
> > in cache to speed things up?
> >
> > I ask as I have a project that requires similar functionality and that
> > was how I was intending to do it.
>
> Using cache to mitigate the cost/need to read views/templates from the
> db, which are only there so that you can 'easily' edit them seems like
> a weird circular dependency to me.
>
> It would be a lot simpler to edit the view/template file via a form
> (did that for myself before for small changes when without ftp
> access). Choosing a (user defined?) layout file based on some logic/
> user preferences, rather than retrieving a layout from the db would
> simply be "simpler".
>
> If you go the db route, I hope some defensive coding is used so the
> "problem connecting to db" & "problem with layouts/views table" error
> messages still display ;)

good points well made :)

As only admins can CRUD templates, it will be fine for them to add view files.

I was just writing loads of stuff about multiple domains and how that
affects things, but then realised it doesn't affect anything at all!

jb

--

jon bennett
t: +44 (0) 1225 341 039 w: http://www.jben.net/