I'd also recommend implementing gzip[1] where possible. When I use
AssetPackager to combine Prototype, Scriptaculous and my other custom
javascripts, then tell my web server to gzip any javascript documents,
it results in about 52k for that single file.

[1] http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#gzip

Brad