First, setup a cronjob to run at whatever period you want, calling
your script.
Now, in your script:
Set your server's timezone equal to the user's timezone.
Then query your reminders table for upcoming reminders.
Send the reminder
Finally, delete the record for the reminder that you just sent.

Regards,
Shawn