by default paginator in 1.2 is doing a findAll with the conditions
that you give him but if that's not enough for you then you can
declare a paginate function in your model that will be used instead of
findAll  (
http://api.cakephp.org/1.2/libs_2controller_2controller_8php-source.html#l01100
)  you should also define a paginateCount() function in your model.
You've got the params in the API. I suggest using it :) it's a
powerfull tool.

greets,