The way I did it was to save an indicator in the (web tier) Session
object. Most common I have seen is to save the id for that user. Aka:
if successful login
   $this->Session->write('uid', $userid)
where userid is the id for the user.

The controller should be designed such that if there is a valid
Session object [$this->Session->valid() ] but there is no uid in the
Session object, then user is not logged in and forward the user to the
login function.

On logout, make sure to destroy session [ $this->Session->destroy() ]
or remove the uid if the user is still allowed to access other areas
of the site without being authenticated.

The parameters that defines how long a session is considered to be
active is different to the CAKE_SESSION_SAVE.