Hi Nina

<snip>

> However, what I'd like is a simple command to find all pictures that a
> given user has access to. I realize that I can find all pictures and
> check them one by one. However, this seems expensive to me (one query
> to get all pictures and then N queries to check the permissions).
> There must be a simpler way to do it, but to find it requires a deep
> understanding of how acl work, and I don't really have that
> understanding (yet), so I am asking you. Has anyone here encountered a
> similar problem, and how did you solve it? If not, do you have any
> ideas on how I might attack this problem?

If you have a look at the api for ACL you will find that ACL provides a
number of methods that aren't obvious from the documentation.  One of
them (I don't remember which) takes an ARO id as an argument and returns
a tree of ACO objects that the ARO has access to.  I think that this
should suite your needs.

I have just tried to work back through the code and extract the key
part, but for the life of me I can't find what I am looking for in the
api, or the Cake ACL code.

I did however discover the following thread that I posted on this
subject a while ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/263d3ffd6fb7533d/94779c7877163bb0

It explains what I did and shows the code that I used.  However I can't
find the parts of the api that it depends upon.

Let me know if you need more explanation.

Regards,
Langdon