Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I can't find where it is
explained.

I have two models:

User belongsTo Status
Status hasMany User

When I create a new user, I want to generate a select box to choose
the status.

users_controller.php:
class UsersController extends AppController
{
  var $name = 'Users';

  function add()
  {
    $this->set('users', $this->User->findAll());
    $this->set('statuschoices', $this->Status->generateList(
                null, "name ASC", null, "{n}.Status.id",
                "{n}.Status.name")
                );

But, it can't resolve $this->Status
 It gives the message  "Notice: Undefined property: UsersController::
$Status ..."

(It is able to resolve $this->User.   I presume this is Cake
automagically instantiating the User object because I followed the
correct naming convention.)

How should I be doing this?