Spent a while trying to figure out why I couldn't save [2] as a value
of a field that was of type >> tinyint(1)

As it turns out, i just needed to change the field to >> int(1)

I know this might seem a bit off topic but if others are like me -
they will think it's a problem with cake... go digging through the API
documentation, and start cursing at the screen...

all for want of some basic MySQL field type understanding.  More of
that at:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/numeric-types.html

{ note: was using the field for a numeric status or level field.  I
suspect someone might come across this post looking for information on
why a status field only ever saves as 1 or 0, never as 2, 3, 4, 5,
etc.. }