I am working on a similar project and decided to use a taxonomic_unit
as the basic element. I have one table taxonomic_units where all
levels get stored, as well as the hierarchical relations between them.
You should look into modified pre-order tree traversal (see
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database ). Of
course each level will have different additional characteristics
besides just the taxonomic relationships, and I use separate tables to
store these characteristics (i.e. kingdom_characteristics,
phylum_characteristics, etc.). I have just one model and one
controller for the taxonomic units and in my controller I go the
relevant additonal table, extract the other details, and my views are
set up generically to display the info.

I am not sure if this is the most cake like approach, but it makes
maintenance easier even if the coding is a bit uglier (lots of switch
statements for example).

Hope that helps.