Adrian,

This behavior appears to be by design.  If you look at
http://api.cakephp.org/1.2/libs_2model_2behaviors_2acl_8php-source.html#l00092
you can see that it specifically tests for if $created before adding
it to the database.

I'm not certain why this is but I'm sure there is a good reason.
There is an enhancement ticket requesting this functionality though
https://trac.cakephp.org/ticket/3143

Geoff
--
http://lemoncake.wordpress.com