in cake 1.1 I usually add

to my app_model.php for the project

class AppModel extends Model  {

        function __construct($id = null, $table = null, $ds = null)
        {
                parent::__construct($id, $table, $ds);

                if (!defined('MYSQL_SET_NAMES_UTF8') && $this->useTable!==false)
                {
                $this->execute("SET NAMES 'UTF8'");
                define('MYSQL_SET_NAMES_UTF8', true);

I can't remember where I got this probably from AD6 or M.I.

--
(the old fart) the advice is free, the lack of crankiness will cost you

- its a fine line between a real question and an idiot

http://blog.samdevore.com/archives/2007/03/05/when-open-source-bugs-me/