Hi all,

I am completing a project using cake where the application requires
user profiles with several hundred, yes several hundred, questions/
fields.  However, only about 20 of these are used in searching,
sorting, etc., the rest are for display purposes only.

So, I basically included those 20 main fields in my profiles table,
and I added a text field called non_searcable.  Then I just serialize
all the other fields and store them there, unserialize them for
display.

I have seen a design where a 2 column table is employed, field_name
and field_value, and all these fields are stored in that way.  It just
seems like a slow, painful method, and you end up with text type
fields storing a string of 4 characters, storing numbers, etc.

What do you think?  For some reason my design doesn't feel 'elegant',
but it works, although is did require a little trickery on the edit
actions and view actions, bet Set::merge was awesome!

Anyway, just curious.  I put a lot of pressure on myself to come up
with super engineered solutions, when often times I think small apps
are over designed.

TIA,
Brian