My proposed fix in the trac ticket is that if there is a fieldList
parameter, 'id' has to be in that list otherwise it won't be set.

I think this is really important as a default behaviour for cake. It's
rather confusing that you have a whitelist but 'id' gets thru. It's
dangerous. Just to make shure you understand what happens:

You have an add method in your controller:

function add() {
    $this->Model->create();
    $this->Model->save($this->data, true, array('field1,'field2'));
}

So if someone adds an 'id' field in your add form your add method
overwrite existing record, despite you used create() and a whitelist.
Don't get me wrong the above sample is just very simplified.

Cheers,
Timo

--
Timo Derstappen