Woah, I misunderstood your earlier post.

That's really surprising, I never realised that MySQL worked like
that.  I have a table here with >10M rows, and while selecting the
first 50 is consistently <0.01 seconds, selecting later 50 with
SELECT * FROM `table` LIMIT 10000000 , 50
took 15 seconds for the first request, and consistently 6 seconds for
every subsequent one.  That's very substantial.

Now, this application very rarely selects anything but individual rows
(and probably doesn't use LIMIT at all), but that's still definitely
worth keeping in mind.