Thanks guys -- I changed DEBUG to CAKEDEBUG in the source files
although I hate to do it. Here's the files in cakeland: core.php,
webroot/test.php, cake/bootstrap.php, cake/libs/configure.php, cake/
libs/xml.php, cake/libs/model/model.test.php. Since the constant DEBUG
is used in all those places I'm not sure just setting it after phpBB
does it's thing with Configure::write('debug', desired level)
propogates it effectively through the whole source base?