Depends what you mean at the end of the action.  It isn't saved in the
session or anything, so separate requests will not be affected.  But
while that model instance is in scope it will remain that way (so
through the view render etc), for the remainder of the request.

If you want really fine control over your associations, check out
Felix's Containable Behaviour (
http://www.thinkingphp.org/2007/06/14/containable-20-beta/
)