Hi,
for layout purposes, I need a table that will display without borders,
or any other table attributes defined in the cakephp stylesheet.
Before you object to using tables for layout purposes: the guy that
makes the layouts does it this way. Getting him to use pure css is a
fifferent discussion.

So a regular table in a view, is displayed with borders.

I tried adding this to the stylesheet:
.plain table {
        border-top: none;
        border-left: none;
        border-bottom: none;
}

And then defining a table as:

But this has no effect whatsoever.

The only way that I have gotten to work is this:

Having to suppress the border for each TD tag is a pain.

There must be an easier way. Suggestions anyone?