On Sep 28, 10:09 pm, Phil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Newbie, slow response, wrong tools ?
>
> I use ms access to run a small business and have decided to replace my
> app with
> linux, apache2, postgres 8., cakephp 1.2
>
> so far i have got as far as adapting the bookmarks tutorial by graham
> birdhttp://grahambird.co.uk/cake/tutorials/scaffolding.php
>
> The problem is when I use it with 2500 records the response time is
> circa 100 secs

Hi,

> am I ?
> 1. displaying too big a data set

Yes, but that won't account for 100seconds

> 2. entirely in the wrong software with cakephp

No, but there will be a number of things that you can do differently.
Stopping using msaccess was one such fantastic decision already
made :).

> 3. should not be using scaffolding

Scaffolding is there just for starting out, you would never use
scaffolding on a real site.

> 4. made some error with the table or coding

If you use bake, you will get editable code instead of getting cake to
generate a lot of logic on the fly all the time (see screencasts)
If you run with debug set to 0 cake caches some setup info.
If your tmp dir is not writable or missing, this is often a cause of
slow response
If you have any associations you could find you /think/ you are
looking and retrieved a small amount of data whereas infact you
retrieved a vast amount of data which you are not using.

Once you have a simple application, if you then are still getting a
slow response identify at least where the time goes (use the log
function before and after a method you suspect, or use a profiling
tool) - 100s is obviously extremely slow.

hth,

AD