It's been removed and doesn't appear to be used anymore.

Cake is mainly using the Configure object now (not defines) to store
settings, and in core.php you see it being used as:
Configure::write('Session.save', 'database');

One line that appears similar to CAKE_SESSION_STRING is:
Configure::write('Security.salt', '<a random string>');

Perhaps that's what you're after?