I am new to cake as well, but this is what I did to create a new layout
called profile.

<?php
class ProfileController extends AppController {
        var $name = 'Profile';
        var $layout = 'profile';
        var $uses = array();

        function index() {
                $this->pageTitle = 'User Profile';

Now I put my page design in profile.thtml in the layout folder and just make
a forward to to /profile/index. That just worked.