I would have a look at some other examples

http://cakebaker.wordpress.com/2006/04/15/file-upload-with-cakephp/
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/multiple-files-upload-in-v1-2
http://james.revillini.com/2007/03/24/swfuploadcomponent-a-cakephp-component-for-handling-file-uploads/

AFAIU

the views will be the form to upload  and an index view to display a list of
files uploaded

fat models are advised. the bulk of your code should* be in the models
rather than the controller

the model database interaction

the controller extracting info from the model and preparing it for the view.

Where possible the model should return data that is as prepared as possible,
greater (re)use of code can be further achieved with components and helpers
- more so components for file uploading