I have recently taken our server running php 4.4.7, MySQL4, and Apache
1.3 and moved it to php 5.2.4

While everything was fine from a compatibility standpoint, the
performance of our exact same cake application was from 30-50% slower
on a per action basis, as well as the memory usage being about 20%
higher. The ONLY thing different was php5, and we dialed in a
comprable php config, although we had to bump the memory up since php5
seems fatter.

php5 was installed as an apache module, not as a cgi. We did the
benchmarking twice just to make sure -- we were using the time
generated on each page for data (at the bottom of webroot/index.php
where it is calculated with debug=1).

Has anyone else experienced this? We are very happy with our
performance under 4.4.7, and even happier with eaccelerator making
things even better under 4.4.7, but we are being dragged to php5 by
another application that will require it next month.

I know there were early php5 perf issues, even in the supposedly
"better" object model which cake uses extensively, but everything I've
read says the 5.2 release has fixed these perf issues and that php5 on
equivalent hardware should be faster -- unfortunately we are not
seeing that.

Is there a dependency for php5 that it works better with apache2
rather than apache1? Or MySQL5 rather than MySQL4? Has anyone else
actually benchmarked their cake code on identical systems to get a
true read of php5's impact on cake apps?

Thanks in advance, Mike