My fault... I was starting an SMTP connection on localhost, which is
of course whitelisted. Solved.

Still mail wasn't delivered, so I updated the email component to the
latest nightly build and now I'm getting a "451 See
http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html"; SMTP error. Before the update
the log file for qmail was showing the same error, but now Cake knows
it was rejected. Far as I can tell, though, the SMTP send code in
email component looks ok to me, ending the connection with a "LF.LF":

if (!$this->__sendData($this->__header . "\r\n" . $this->__message .
"\r\n\r\n\r\n.\r\n")) {