I'm fairly new to Cake too, so maybe I will hit something helpful
here.
The tutorial examples tend to make it look like 1 controller for 1
model
and 1 model for 1 controller.

This is not at all true.   A controller can also use many models or
even none.
I think of a controller as the organization of a page, just as a view
is its presentation.
A model set up to CHUD on one model has been a rarity for me except
for administration.

You can use controller's to render just a piece of the page using
requestAction.
The reason this is frowned upon is the idea that it exercises the
whole Cake mechanism, which maybe time consuming.
I'm not really sure if this is true or not, and I've not seen anyone
posting any statistics backing this up.
I agree that it intuitively feels correct, but as a 'C' programmer, my
initial intuition about PHP was, how was it going to get off the
ground? So intuition on a Gigahertz CPU is not always very accurate.

Elements do however seem to fill the bill as reusable mini-controllers
for rendering parts of the page.