Santa,
I have tested the option 2 and it works as expected.
- The structure of tables and $belongsTo variable that you proposed
were kept unchanged.
- Small modification: under score is used for the foreign keys (e.g.
opening_id). I reviewed the cake core and found out that generatList()
detects only foreign keys having '_id' in name.
generateList()  ignores your foreignKey statements (e.g. 'foreignKey'
=> 'openingid' etc.)

- You can try abba bryant's approach. However the main point here is:
the naming for foreign keys and the generateList's ignorance of the
foreginKey statements and conditions specified for $belongsTo  (I dont
see these 'secrets' documented any where)

Here is the code I tested:
Models:

class Letter extends AppModel {
        var $name = 'Letter';
        var $belongsTo = array(
                        'Opening' => array('className' =>
'LetterContent',

'foreignKey' => 'opening_id',
                                                  ),
                        'Middle' => array('className' =>
'LetterContent',

'foreignKey' => 'middle_id',
                                                ),
                        'Ending' => array('className' =>
'LetterContent',

'foreignKey' => 'ending_id',
                                                 ),
        );

}

class LetterContent extends AppModel {
        var $name = 'LetterContent';

}

Controller:
class LettersController extends AppController {

        var $name = 'Letters';
        var $uses = array('Letter', 'LetterContent');
        var $helpers = array('Html', 'Form' );
  function add() {
        if (!empty($this->data)) {
                $this->cleanUpFields();
                $this->Letter->create();
                if ($this->Letter->save($this->data)) {
                        $this->flash('Letter saved.',
array('action'=>'index'));
                        exit();
                } else {
         //the statements below are the same for 'edit' method
        $openings = $this->Letter->Opening-
>generateList(array('letter_section'=>'Opening'));
        $middles = $this->Letter->Middle-
>generateList(array('letter_section'=>'Middle'));
        $endings = $this->Letter->Ending-
>generateList(array('letter_section'=>'Ending'));
        $this->set(compact('openings', 'middles', 'endings'));

<?php echo $form->create('Letter');?>
        <fieldset>
                <legend><?php __('Add');?> <?php __('Letter');?></
legend>
        <?php
                echo $form->input('opening_id');
                echo $form->input('middle_id');
                echo $form->input('ending_id');
        ?>
        </fieldset>
<?php echo $form->end('Submit');?>
?>

Good luck
Zonium
P/S: I like your table structure and the way you defined $belongsTo.