You could set your text field as an hidden field at first. Then
handling "onChange" in the select box, with a small javascript you
would show the text box when the is "other" and hide it otherwise.on
Something like :

$js = 'if(this.value == "other") $(\'inpbox\').show(); else $(\'inpbox
echo $form->input('knowsfrom', array('type' => 'select', 'options' =>
$options, 'onchange' => $js));
echo $form->input('otherfrom', array('type' => 'text', 'id' =>
'inpbox'));

I did write this code just straight here, so you might get some syntax
errors, but that should give you a hint.
hth