I am setting up Ubuntu for the first time to serve as a LAMP test
environment for CakePHP development and things are not behaving as I
think they should.

I have set up a simple default layout

<head>

<title><?php echo $title_for_layout?></title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<?= $html->css('layout') ?>
</head>
Wonderland Labs
<?php echo $content_for_layout ?>

And layout.css is not loading. The helper is working

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/layout.css" /></
head>

and mod-rewrite is working because the stock home page loads from
localhost:90/

but I can't get my css file to load even when I enter localhost:90/css/
layout.css directly.

I am using PHP5, Apache 2.0, and Ubuntu; any other checks and
adjustments I should make to get cake running correctly? Is there an
easy check I can do to ensure that mod_rewrite is still working?