Thanks a lot, I read the ticket, and this probably explains what I am
seeing:

In latest 1.2.x trunk r5933, when the Security.level is set to "high"
then the session id is regenerated for every request. However,
browsers (both FF2 and IE7) only update their session cookie for page
loads - not for media loads (ie CSS / JS / IMG).

I still don't understand why it works for static image links but oh
well. Supposedly this was fixed in the r5982 but the latest version I
can find on the cakephp website is 1.2.0.5875 anyone know where I can
get the new version?

Thanks,
Dave