I would suggest that the easiest solution is to hand code a radio
element and feed it parameters for $fieldname (such as 'Users.gender')
and $options (array('M' => 'Male', 'F' => 'Female')); If the $form
class is not handling things as you would like you may find the
quickest solution is to just be definitive.

I would recommend for instance that you wrap the buttons and their
accompanying text within "<label> ... </label>" tags so that clicking
on the legend for each radio button selects the appropriate button. If
you put the radio buttons within a simple '<div class="radio_buttons">
you can be specific for how that label is rendered in CSS:

div.radio_buttons.input[width: auto; border: none; background-color:
none;}
div.radio_buttons.label{width: auto; display: inline; font-weight:
normal; }

good luck