Perhaps the official tutorial should be un-deprecated?  Maybe add
comments where people can chime in, php.net or Bakery style?  Would it
really take more than 20 minutes to update it or move it to the Bakery
(so people can add updates to the same page without the author lifting
a finger) and change the link?  The repeated "n00bie blog tutorial
questions" that bug you guys so much (enough to warrant internet tough
guy sarcasm) could/should have been solved/prevented a long time ago.
People shouldn't have to be familiar with some guy's third party blog
for a workaround or solution.  After so long and it being brought up
all the time, you'd think somebody on the dev or doc team would
notice.  Now go ahead and reply to me with some sort of lecture where
you talk about open source (as if people having trouble with the
beginners tutorial are really capable of submitting a patch or making
sense of "trac") and shift responsibilities away instead of
considering that fixing the tutorial is a simple solution that makes
sense and would benefit the project and is a no brainer that it should
be done. kthxbai.