One thing which has helped me a LOT with my upgrades is SVN.

About a month ago I started working from the SVN branch rather than the
pre-beta release, since a LOT of stuff has been fixed (eg. no more
CleanUpFields).

The CakePHP developers have been excellent in putting in very relevant
comments when checking files in. Most times all you have to do is pull up
the log messages and do a simple search. A search for generateList brings
the following comments:

rev: 6295 - nate - 1/1/08
Implemented 'counterCache' and 'counterScope' for belongsTo associations
Exempted 'created', 'updated' and 'modified' fields from whitelist when
saving, closes #3720
Updated Model::bind(), closes #2355
Adding Model::saveAll() to save multiple records and associated records,
closes #3615
Replacing Model::generateList() with Model::find('list'), deprecates
Model::generateList()

Happy Baking!
--
Baz L