I try to go with doing whatever gives the most business value first. This
means whichever piece of functionality is most important in getting the
application working in the shortest amount of time. You can then release
this part to the testers immediately and get feedback early.
However, on my current project I left all the Auth/ACL till a late stage. I
have many different types of users all with different tables. When I came to
implementing the logins I realised I should have a common user table. After
some good advice from people on this list I came up with a new design. When
I changed the model structure to the new design I had to go back and fix a
lot of functionality I had already coded. This slowed me down because I was
waiting for the logins to release. If I had released what I had to the
internal testers before I tried to implement the logins I would have gotten
some valuable feedback before now. However, these are lessons learned.
I also spent a lot of time choosing between the various Auth/Acl systems. I
tried a couple. I still don't have it working properly but I've released
anyway.
Anyway the point of my rant is to choose the most important feature first.
If logins aren't important yet, choose some something else, but release that
before moving on to something else.
Also have a read of the docs on the ACL stuff so at least you have an idea
of how it will work in your head.

Cheers,

Sonic