There are several different ways to approach this, but I've never
heard the one you just heard.  The way you are doing it is a standard
way if you only want to have 1 app - you put your controller in /app/
controllers, your model in /app/models, and your views in /app/views/
controllername/.

If you want to have several different apps, you can create a folder
inside cakephp for each app (essentially, just copy the app folder and
rename it).  If you put things in /app/addressbook/, I don't think it
would work.

hydra12